Weekend ice hockey recap

Men’s and women’s ice hockey had a busy weekend with a total of four games in three different locations: Appleton, Fond Du Lac and Hancock, MI.   

Women’s ice hockey faced off against the Marian University Sabres at the Appleton Ice Center on Thursday. Marian scored the first goal on a power play halfway through the opening period. This was quickly followed by a bit of confusion in front of the net, after which Lawrence sophomore Sofia Alvarez scored to tie both teams at 1-1 at the 12:13 mark. In the second period, the Sabres took the offensive, scoring two more points in under three minutes of playtime. The third period was tense, as Lawrence fought to make up a point. With less than two minutes left in the game, a Marian player misplayed the puck, giving senior Lauren Askenazy the chance to score. However, her shot was blocked by Marian’s goaltender, and the Sabres confirmed their 3-2 Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) victory over the Vikings. The standout player of the game was Lawrence first-year goaltender Chasity Anderson, who stopped thirty-seven shots over the course of the match. 

On Friday, the women’s team faced Marian at the Blue Line Ice Center in Fond Du Lac, WI. Similar to Thursday’s game, the Sabres scored the first point. Lawrence junior Lindsey Gulliksen was assisted by junior Laney Martens and sophomore Maggie MacNeil to score at the 16:27 mark, tying the teams at 1-1. Marian scored again early into the third period, giving them a 2-1 lead over the Vikings. Lawrence had two power plays in the last period but didn’t manage to find an opening, solidifying a 3-1 NCHA win for Marian. Chasity Anderson was once again a star goaltender, making 40 saves for Lawrence. 

The men’s team was in Hancock, Mich. on Friday, playing Finlandia University at the Houghton County Arena. Lawrence senior Tyler Jensen was assisted by juniors Jack Michels and Oliver De Croock to score the first goal just under four minutes into the first period, giving the Vikings an early lead. Senior Jordan Cooper scored another point for the Vikings with 15:21 on the clock and Lawrence leading 2-0 at the end of the opening period. The Lions couldn’t keep up and Lawrence junior Kyle Gierman scored a power play goal to bring the score to 3-0, confirming the Vikings’ NCHA victory. Continuing the streak of standout goaltending, first-year Owen Carlson had his first career shutout, blocking 26 shots over the course of the game. 

The men’s team stayed in Hancock for their second match against the Lions on Saturday. The Vikings scored the first point of the game, with first-year Adam Zukowski burying the puck into the net just three minutes into the opening period on assists from senior James Scott and first-year Brendan Vettraino. Finlandia took the lead back shortly thereafter, scoring two goals in the remainder of the first period. Things began to look grim for the Vikings in the second period as the Lions fired off two more successful shots to bring the score to 4-1. Finlandia scored again early into the third period. After an interference foul on Finlandia at the 4:30 mark, the Vikings began their comeback. Back-to-back goals by junior Cory Checco, first-year Jayden Jensen, sophomore Will Crull and first-year Cristian Tallarico tied up both teams 5-5 at the end of the third period. The Lions managed to score their sixth point in overtime, securing a NCHA win over the Vikings.