1. “Gimme More,” Britney Spears Can you say “club banger?” While this song made way too many people say “it’s Britney b*tch,” it marks the comeback of the one-and-only Miss Britney Spears. “Crossroads” may have been a travesty but this hot song was not. 2. “Mutilated Lips,” Ween What? Rebecca Shorr likes Britney and Ween? Yup. This is the first Ween song I ever heard and is still one of my favorite songs by the band. It is trippy, creepy, weird and calming all at the same time. The reverb, guitars and vocals all meld together to form a lucid piece of musical genius.
3. “Lollipop,” Lil Wayne A hot song by one very fine, ripped rapper.
4. “Diva,” Beyoncé I would like to think of this song as my personal anthem. Strutting down College Avenue while on my way to Starbucks just gets so much better when listening to this song.
5. “So a Jew and a Christian and a Recording Crew Walk Into This Bar,” This American Life I am an avid “This American Life” fan and, like Nora Taylor, want to marry Ira Glass. This excerpt, from the episode titled “Nobody’s Family is Going to Change,” is an incredibly touching piece about acceptance, resentment and love. I never get tired of listening to this story and continue to be moved by it.
6. “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song),” Billy Joel Billy Joel is an amazing songwriter, and this is probably my favorite Billy Joel song. It is upbeat, catchy and just all around rockin’.
7. “I Kissed A Girl,” Katy Perry Arguably the catchiest pop record to be released since Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone.” This song is everything a pop record should be: fun, entertaining, easy to sing to and responsible for increasing the sales of ChapStick (cherry flavored in particular). This song might not be kid-tested, mother-approved, but it sure is fun to dance to.