I tried this recipe a couple years ago and the result changed my life! No, really. These orange glazed scones are really easy to make and you would never know that they were dairy free. You can eat them as a breakfast treat or a dessert and they go very well with tea. Makes 12 scones.Ingredients:
cup soy cream
_ cup soy or rice milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
¬ tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp finely grated orange zest (save orange for the glaze)
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp melted earth balance (butter substitute)
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice (from the orange you grated)
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1) Preheat oven to 400?F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2) Combine wet ingredients (all except oil) and set aside.
3) In a separate mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients then add the oil, wet mixture, and orange zest and mix until just combined.
Note: The dough should be clumpy.
4) Divide the dough into two equal portions.
5) Knead each portion a few times, then form into 6-inch discs. Cut each disc into six slices- pizza style.
6) Put Place each slice on a prepared cookie sheet.
7) Bake 12-15 minutes or until slightly brown and firm on top. Transfer to a plate or cooling rack.
8) Mix the confectioners sugar with the melted Earth Balance, orange juice, and orange zest until smooth.
9) Pour 2 Tbsp of orange glaze over cooled scones. Let the glaze set before eating.
10) Eat up and LOVE IT! (Don’t forget to share)