Women’s soccer secures two wins

Andy King

The women’s soccer team played host to Edgewood College on October 7. The Vikings came out and played fantastically against the Eagles, getting seven shots on goal during the game. In the 39th minute, a ball in from sophomore Liz Seeley found the feet of junior Mia Lerch who was able to put the ball behind the goalkeeper, giving the Vikings momentum going into half time. Edgewood answered in the 63rd minute off a strong shot, but the Vikings stepped up their efforts, pressing on and getting into the attack numerous times.
In the 84th minute, a pass was intercepted by sophomore Sarah Ehlinger, who dribbled at pace at the Eagle backline. Beating her defender, Ehlinger was able to take a powerful shot, which deflected off the goalkeeper to the feet of freshman Natalie Jin, who calmly chipped the ball over the fallen goal keeper, securing a Viking victory at home.
The Lady Vikings then traveled to Knox College to face the Prairie Fire in a Midwest Conference match-up. The Vikings showed the strongest attacking soccer of the season as Knox fell 4-0. The Prairie Fire was not able to stop the continuous offensive efforts of the Vikings. Jin posted two goals, coming off of five shots on goal with an assist from senior co-captain Ali Blegen. Ehlinger had seven shots on goal, finishing once, and assisting once as well.
Senior Pam Golemgeski found the back of the net from an assist by sophomore Maureen Darras, and had four shots on goal. Seeley also had five shots on goal. Good attacks were built starting with calm, collected defending from the back, building to the midfield and then either finding the forwards or servicing the ball into the box. So many offensive opportunities were created that nearly all of the players and substitutes had at least one opportunity on the goal.
Jin commented after the game, “The team played well against Knox. We were unsatisfied with our one goal lead first half since anything can happen in a game of soccer. So in the second half, as a team we really pushed each other hard and came out with another three goals for our four goal win.”
The Pioneers of Grinnell College hosted the Vikings the next day. The Vikings found out from the opening whistle that the game would be completely different from the previous day. A stronger, more technical Grinnell gave the Vikings trouble early with quick passing and long through-balls. The defense was able to hold on and stop the Pioneer attacks for only a short period of time.
In the 18th minute, Grinnell broke through and found the back of the net. Coming into half time the score stood at 1-0 in favor of Grinnell. The Pioneers came out harder than they did in the first half and were able to put in four more goals coming in the 58th, 69th, 77th and 84th minute. The offensive pressure was never let off and the Vikings were only able to produce three total shots for the match.