I think that it’s important to master a few basic recipes. It allows you to take several basic preparations and combine them to create something unique. That being said, everyone should know how to make a good tart crust.2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 egg yolk
1-2 tablespoons ice water
1. Mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
2. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it is worked-in well and resembles coarse sand.
3. Work-in the egg yolk and enough of the ice water to hold the dough together. Do not overwork the dough or it will make for a tough crust.
4. Refrigerate dough until it is firm enough to roll out.
5. Roll dough out. You can bake it in a pie dish, tart pan or even small ramekins for individual tarts.