Sexiled: A reporter at large

The basement lounge of Trever is cold at 3 a.m., but at least it’s empty and the couches are long enough to sleep on. I toss my belongings onto a nearby chair and begin my account of this sorrowful evening.

This is my third attempt at lodging of the night. Most recently, I was removed from Warch after falling asleep in front of the fireplace. My teeth were brushed, bed constructed and I was wrapped snugly in my sheets, head on my pillow. I slept restfully for two hours before a security officer woke me up and asked me to leave.

“But I’m studying,” I protested, Indicating my computer on the table, and the dog-eared copy of “The Princess Bride” I had been reading before bed. “Modern literature. Class.”

He was having none of it. I blearily rearranged the furniture and began the long, cold walk to Trever in dismay.

My original plans for the evening involved a daring attempt to spend the night in the most luxurious of campus suites: the fourth floor of the library. I was ousted when, even in my brilliant attempt to hide in a stall with my feet up a la “From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler,” a security officer found the need to relieve himself and entered my stall. I remembered the classic saying when dealing with dangerous animals, such as snakes: “They’re more afraid of you than you are of them” and attempted to employ various Jedi mind tricks, etc. in order to stay. Lawrence security officers are not dangerous animals. I was politely removed.

Now I am laying down to rest. My meager means of survival include a pillow, a blanket, a toothbrush, toothpaste and an LU I.D. card worth about $200 in food. I must eat my rations carefully. I have another long night to survive.

This is my second night enduring the pain of having a roommate in a committed and loving relationship. How, you may ask, did I weather the first? I was taken in by friends with open arms.  However, after one night, my sinus, bladder, and gastro-intestinal problems forced them to turn me away.

“Guests and fish stink after three days,” they said, “but you stink after one night. Stop eating so much tofu or something.”


Related posts