Senior Stan Jablonski
Biology major (Pre-Med)
1) Why did you start track?
I started throwing when I was a freshman in high school at Brookfield Academy. My older brother was on the team and thought I would make a great addition to the throws crew. I fell in love with it right away.
2) Before a big meet, what do you do to get yourself pumped up?
I generally like to talk to Coach Gabby before I compete. He knows what to say to get me fired up and ready to throw far.
3) Do you prefer indoor or outdoor track and why?
I prefer outdoor track. For indoor, I throw shot-put and weight, but for outdoor I get to throw shot-put, hammer and discus. The hammer is by far the coolest event in track — who wouldn’t want to throw a 16-pound ball attached to a metal wire?
4) What is your favorite part about track and why?
I love to compete and throw. There is no other feeling like the adrenaline boost I get when I step into the ring. I also love being with my team. I have met some of my best friends through track.
5) If you could play any other sport besides track for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
The only other sport I would like to play is chess. Chess is an amazing sport that is both challenging mentally and physically for all who play.
Junior Gabe Henriques
1) Why did you start playing baseball?
I started playing baseball because I liked the tee and bat my dad got me when I was three, so he signed me up when I was four.
2) How does it feel to be the Midwest Conference player of the week?
It feels great to be able to earn the honor of MWC player of the week, but I don’t want to pay too much attention to it. I don’t want to start trying too hard and change what has been working for me.
3) If you could play catch with any professional baseball player, who would it be and why?
I would go back to 1970 and play catch with Roberto Clemente. Favorite athlete ever. If I had to pick a living or active one though, I would toss with Mark Buehrle of the Miami Marlins.
4) What is your favorite part of the game, and why?
My favorite part of the game is the team I play for every year. Those guys are family for an entire season, or four, and they’re going to be there for you whether the team is winning or losing.
5) If you could play any other sport besides baseball for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
I love hockey. I would love to try that out, but I would have to get good at skating first.